- Add 1 egg yolk and 1 tsp Dijon mustard to a glass bowl.
- Slowly and gradually add 200ml of olive oil while whisking.
- Add a pinch of toasted and crushed fennel seeds
- Crush 1 clove of garlic and add to the emulsified aïoli.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice and salt to taste.
When adding the oil, make sure the first quarter of the oil is added slowly enough to create an emulsion. If it doesn’t thicken instantly, you’ve messed it up and better to start again. Also, I prefer to use extra virgin olive or cold pressed rapeseed, but never vegetable oil.
As for the garlic, to crush it properly use a strong knife, chop it first then press the chopped garlic with the blade a few times to create a paste.’